Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

very different subject...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: very different subject... Reply with quote

Hi guys, sorry to go completely off the food but I really need to ask this question: I bought two pairs of pants today that need some altering (legs are too long-or mine too short Smile ). Do I need to wash them first before I bring them to the magic needle-lady? We're talking jeans (stretchy-ish) and a cotton-linnen blend.
Thanks for your help!!

(don't laugh, it's very sad I don't know stuff like this myself Smile . And it's sad I have short legs (well, not that short actually...so it's not me, it's the pants, right?! On the other hand, finding pants that fit, and especially jeans, IS a happy occasion Smile )
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swan you are funny! I know exactly how you feel, the fashon industry thinks we all are Giselle and seems to forget about those of us on the shorter end of the spectrum.
I always take my things in before washing and have never had a problem. I would imagine being part linen, it will be a cold wash and a hang dry, so you should be safe. Anyone else? I honestly had never even thought about it before and might have just gotten lucky.

"It's hot ham water."
swan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought of later: if they do it for you in the shop where you buy them, they don't wash them first either...

Oh Erin, hihi, yeah, well, actually I really don't have that short legs (they just like to make very long pants here and I hate it when they so modernly sweep the floor behind you...)but my legs are both , ehm, normal in length and a bit bigger in width Smile than those models in magazines...so...try buying pantyhose!!! they either stretch lengthways, or sideways, but seldom both. Ah, worries of womanhood!!! Too bad I have to wear pantyhoses with my uniform to work.
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wash pants before having them altered. Especially after once finding the pants shrunk a couple of inches when I had them altered before I washed them. Fortunately the shop replaced them because the salesgirl omitted to mention the fact the pants would shrink in the wash.
birgit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend washing them before having them altered as well, especially stretchy fabrics can behave quite tricky sometimes, not to talk of natural fabric like linnen/cotton, some can shrink about 10 percent Shocked (sometimes some info is printed on the little sewn-in clothes tags) ...
cris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be sorry to go off food just post on the other thing forum. Twisted Evil
laurie_m

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever plan on putting them in the dryer you must wash & dry them before you have them altered. If you plan on always doing a cold wash / line dry you can skip it. Especially with anything cotton or linen!
swan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, you're right, I thought I did. So never hire me for my computer skills... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: