Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Corsica

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Corsica Reply with quote

I am researching our next trip and as usual would like any info you have for me. My husband has been wanting to visit the south of France for some time now, and I think we will pay a visit on our next trip, date to be determined.
Phil is a sun worshipper, and I wear 45 sunblock safely hidden under an umbrella. In other words I'm not 'beachy'. I have only done a little checking so far, but Corsica seems to be a good compromise.
Have any of you been there, and if so are their ample supplies of food, wine, shopping and architecture for me to be diverted? Also, is it overrun with tourists? If so do you know of a better place, or a certain area of the island to go?
http://english.visit-corsica.com/grand_public/

We are planning to go a few other places on the same trip, I'll post in "around the world on a zucchini".

"It's hot ham water."
Zozi

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: corsica Reply with quote

Of all the places we have ever been the only place I ever wanted to go back to was Corsica, so my advice is yes, definitely go there. It's a bit of a secret place in Europe, not many people go there or really know where it is (I didn't until I went), and that's one of the things that make it so lovely. They haven't allowed mass tourism, so there are no big hotels (there may be in the capital but I've never been there), and there are only usually mainly French, Italians, and other Europeans there - I'm speaking as a British person who delights in going to places where the Brits don't usually go. Everything is small scale and people are quite friendly.
Corsica is basically a mountainous island with fabulous beaches all around. The north has two main small towns, with good beaches, and you can easily drive into the mountains and up gorges inland, or take a wonderful scary but majestic drive down to the west for spectacular scenery - a car is essential to see it properly. The South East has the best beaches, but not much else apart from the town at the bottom which names escapes me but is where Bonaparte was held and is an interesting place to visit. The South West is good as well, although the beaches aren't as sandy (we have small children so this info is necessary for us). If you're pushed for time I would go to the North, Isle de Rousse and Calvi and drive around. It only takes about three hours to get to the south if you're into driving (but that's going via the East coast, which is the most boring. Otherwise distances are deceptive as the roads are so twisted).
And of course the food. It's a combination of French and Italian, so lots of pizza places with real wood-burning ovens, and other French-ish food, although being a rocky island don't go expecting all the wonderful French food you get in France - most food is flown over so prices aren't cheap and there isn't the range you would expect. We are limited with our kids so haven't done restaurants much, but I have read about the local food with interest, and what I have tasted is good.
We have been twice, and plan to go again, and as my philosophy is why go back somewhere when there are so many other places to explore, you can see why I say yes, definitely go there!
Erin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zozi,
Thank you for your response! I was beginning to think I'd never get any insider info. I am with you when it comes to going places that aren't overrun with people from home. If I wanted to do that I'd just stay in NY.

Thanks again for your thoughts on Corsica. I think we will definitely be visiting there.

"It's hot ham water."
Donna

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

We have friends in France who go to Corsica EVERY year! The sailing, apparently, is spectacular there. And my friends are food and wine people who won't go ANYWHERE that doesn't have very good food and wine!Laughing

There is also good hiking in the hills - so you don't have to plant yourself on a beach. I don't think there's much in the way of museums, from what they say, but there are lots of musical events, all summer long!

Sounds like fun!

Cool
Erin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, another reply!

Donna,
While I am not much of a sailor my husband has been at it since he was a child. He will be excited to hear that Corsica is a great place for it. Instead of lowering booms, tying jibbs and what-not will be busy lounging somewhere out of the way. Thanks Donna, it all sounds great!

"It's hot ham water."
Donna

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you this: sailing in Corsica will be very different than sailing in Seattle (assuming that's where you learned to sail).

We sail a fair amount here in the Bay area and I understand it's similar to Seattle: always wear foul weather gear, COLD - even in the summer, constant tacking because of wind shifts - hauling sheets, dodging masts, reefing the jib - work work work!

Sailing in the south of France was like HEAVEN! We wore shorts and t-shirts. We sailed out several miles and only tacked ONCE! You could actually eat and drink, because your food and cups weren't sliding all over the place from the boat heaving up and down. Laughing

Now, don't get me wrong. I love to sail and I love the weather here in the Bay Area and I don't mind working hard...BUT - I LOVED sailing in France! Cool So - maybe you would enjoy it in Corsica! We are defiinitely planning on going down there sometime to stay with our friends!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: